www.badenyon.org


Lost Farm Barley

Badenyon's Limekiln

Mark's Photos of the Limekiln are here (link to be restored soon)

Badenyon's Limekiln in RCAHMS CANMORE database

 

Map reference: NJ 3422 1894

Parish: Glenbuchat; Council: Aberdeenshire

NJ31NW 17 3422 1894

(Location cited as NJ 3423 1895). This limekiln is a substantial structure with two 'wings', tangential walls flanking the flue entrance. It is set into a SE-facing escarpment to the N of the Water of Buchat at an altitude of about 360m OD.

NMRS, MS/712/43, visited 23 March 1976.

(Location cited as NJ 342 190). Early 19th century. Tapering circular drystone rubble kiln, the draw-hole flanked by buttresses.

J R Hume 1977.

Location corrected to NJ 3423 1894.

Information from RCAHMS (JRS), 1 December 1998.

A well-preserved limekiln is situated near the foot of a S-facing scarp overlooking the flood-plain of the Water of Buchat about 90m SE of Badenyon farmsteading (NJ31NW 16). It is serviced by a spectacular terraced trackway that zig-zags up the slope towards the site of the old farm-buildings on the summit of the river cliff above.

The facade of the kiln faces SE and rises to a height of 3.85m. The central draw-hole at its foot measures 1.6m in height, 1.25m in width and at least 2.7m in depth; it is flanked by two buttresses. Immediately above the lintel of the draw-hole is a rectangular aperture measuring 0.5m in height, 0.6m in width and at least 0.7m in depth, but the rear is blocked by rubble. The bowl, which measures 3.5m in diameter and about 2m in depth, is comparatively well-preserved, although a young ash grows from its centre and the inner face on the SE has begun to collapse. Its rim measures 0.8m in thickness and rises 0.9m above the adjacent trackway.

Although the kiln is not indicated on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1869, sheet L), it is noted as an 'Old Limekiln' on the 2nd edition of the map (1903, sheet l).

Visited by RCAHMS (ATW), 19 May 1997.

1976 photo online:

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/pls/portal/newcanmore.p_coll_details?p_arcnumlink=501672

 

Lost Farm Barley

Back to the top.
www.badenyon.org is coordinated by Mark Blaxter [mark_@_badenyon.org].
This is version 2.1 of the website (Summer 2006, updated 04/2009).